OT? Help to compile program - ac_nonexitent.h

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Mar 20 15:52:53 UTC 2008

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>> While it compiled after some finger problems and ran okay.  I didn't
>> fix the vfork warning.  Now to start looking at making rpm's.
>
> Cool.  Post back if you have questions on that part.  If you haven't
> got better links, there's a draft on the fedoraproject.org wiki for
> building packages:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/BuildingPackagesGuide

I have many building rpm links/howto's to start with but it never hurts
to have more from time to time.

In the past I just used CheckInstall but that seems to have dropped off
in support.

   http://checkinstall.izto.org/

> I can't say I've followed it to learn to package (since it was created
> long after I'd struggled to learn to build rpms :), but it does seem
> to cover many of the things you'll need to know.
>
>> It would be nice to find out a definitive answer on ac_nonexitent.h
>> though.  Seeing many, many posts on this error with no definitive
>> answer is an issue.  What list/forum would be a good place to ask?
>
> I looked harder and this is definitely an autoconf test.  The purpose
> it to determine whether the preprocessor can detect missing headers.
> You can find it in /usr/share/autoconf/autoconf/c.m4:
>
>   # OK, works on sane cases.  Now check whether nonexistent headers
>   # can be detected and how.
>   _AC_PREPROC_IFELSE([AC_LANG_SOURCE([[@%:@include <ac_nonexistent.h>]])],
>                      [# Broken: success on invalid input.
> continue],
>                      [# Passes both tests.
> ac_preproc_ok=:
>
> No need to really worry about it.  If it shows up in the configure
> output, perhaps that could be fixed in the upstream configure.ac (or
> configure.in), but it's not an error that should affect the build
> AFAICT.

Now this is nice to know.  I will read some more and learn more.

It has been a fun week so far in learning about the different
programming tools.  Trying to get my old mind back into C programming
that I learned before there was a Netscape or PPP access in our city.
Heck, we didn't even have an ISP.  :)

I am learning I have a lot more to learn.  My AVR project is the highest
priority and this is why I want to get a simulator that works.  :)

--
Robin Laing