significance of RAM errors?

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Mar 20 22:18:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:55:51 -0700
Dave Stevens <geek at uniserve.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a dual boot system with Windows and Linux on separate drives. After
> some recent problems with booting I ran memtest86. In 40 hours more or less I
> got about 600 memory errors. I don't like this but am somewhat at a loss to
> understand how it compares to other systems or what consequences are likely
> to stem from this. What I want to avoid is system instability and
> unpredictable behaviour. Can anyone point me to more information about how to
> interpret this result? or has anyone an opinion?

Any memtest86 error is a system fault. If you have ECC they may end up as
corrected errors most of the time. You probably have a faulty memory
module but before you replace them (and especially if it used to be
reliable) remove and reseat all the memory in case its spots of
dirt etc).

*DON'T* try and clean the connectors unless
a) You use a very very light abrasive
b) You follow static precautions strictly

Alan