sort with tab field separator

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 23 13:40:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 14:21 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 23:49 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> > How do I know Ctrl-V  + Ctrl-I is \t?
>
> You can look up the old ASCII charts for the control codes.
>
> Key sequence  Hex   Character / escape sequence / description
> ------------+-----+-------------------------
> CTRL+G        07    BEL ’\a’ (bell)
> CTRL+H        08    BS  ’\b’ (backspace)
> CTRL+I        09    HT  ’\t’ (horizontal tab)
> CTRL+J        0A    LF  ’\n’ (new line)
> CTRL+K        0B    VT  ’\v’ (vertical tab)
> CTRL+L        0C    FF  ’\f’ (form feed)
> CTRL+M        0D    CR  ’\r’ (carriage ret)
>
> Hint:  Read across both columns in the "man ascii" output.
>
> --
> (This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, in case that's
>  important to the thread.)

> I read messages from the pa characterublic lists.

That is only half of the answer. Ctrl-V forces the system to ignore the
 action of the CTRL character that follows it and treat it as just
a character.
Take your work seriously but never take yourself seriously; and do not
take what happens either to yourself or your work seriously. -- Booth
Tarkington
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net