Installing Fedora 8 on Intel Core Duo

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Mar 23 21:16:51 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 16:54 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:
> > It's an interesting question that I don't have an answer to, why the
> > rhgb invocation of X fails where the post-boot one succeeds.  What is
> > your video card?
> >

> Some more info. Even though I have taken the two option off, I still
> have a black monitor. However I can ssh from my laptop, so it's not that
> the server is not booting up. A friend suggested that it might be
> something to do with the frequency, maybe Fedora is trying to optimizing
> but the monitor doesn't support it. Do you know where I can check what
> the current settings are?

If you aren't using X (graphical boot or graphical login or startx from
command line), then I think the display is handled by the kernel and
there is no file containing the settings.

In X, definitions are in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

The rhgb option in /etc/grub.conf runs the graphical boot.  Graphical
login is controlled by /etc/inittab, in particular, the line

        id:5:initdefault:

If you change the 5 to 3 on that line, you will boot to command-line
mode.  Log in and run startx.  You can shift back to your login console
with <ctrl>-<alt>-<F1>.  See if there are any error reports on the
console.  Also look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.setup.log
to see if there are errors.

> On your question, it should be an Intel GMA 950. but that doesn't mean
> much to me. Do you want me to check something specific? Let me know.

I don't know much about the Intel drivers, so I won't be much more help.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu