Samba - why isn't "force user" working as I expect?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Mon Mar 24 13:01:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 12:40:50PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> At the end of my smb.conf file I have:-
>
>     [Scans]
>             comment = Digikam scans for chrisx
>             path = /home/chrisx/pictures/Scans
>             writeable = yes
>             force user = chrisx
>
>     [xpIsbd]
>             comment = ISBD on XP
>             path = /home/isbd/xpIsbd
>             writeable = yes
>             force user = isbd
>
> I thought this would mean that when I connect to these shares from my
> XP machine (on which I am user chris) any files and/or directories I
> create there would be created as users chrisx and isbd respectively.
>
> However it's not working, I can connect to the shares without any
> problem but files/directories are always created with owner chris.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> (This is samba 3.0.28a on Fedora 8)

I have just realised what I was doing wrong!

I was accessing the shares as \\home\chrisx/pictures/Scans from my XP
machine and that (of course!) was accessing them via the default
[homes] share in smb.conf.

If I access the shares as \\home\xpIsbd and \\home\Scans then
everything works as expected.

Grrrrrr!!! It's taken me hours to realise this!

--
Chris Green