kmail dead in water, using tbird I hope

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 16:52:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:48:16 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Monday 24 March 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> >On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:01:52 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> I've had several hard lockups over the last day, possibly related to a
> >> tickless kernel2.6.24.1 I could keep running long enough to recompile it
> >> with the usual kilohertz tick, so ATM I'm on one of the older 2.6.23
> >> kernels from the F8 repo's, and kde is 3.5.9
> >>
> >> Anyway, kmail (and kontact but I don't use it) is now doing a nearly
> >> instant Signal 11.  The kmail.kcrash report sort of points a finger at
> >> libkmailprivate.so, but I've stopped X, had yum rip out kdepim and
> >> kdepim-libs, and then re-install them with no effect on the crash.
> >>
> >> So here is the kmail.kcrash text:
> >> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
> >> (no debugging symbols found)
> >> [snip many lines oof this]
> >> (no debugging symbols found)
> >> [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
> >> [New Thread -1208654128 (LWP 25523)]
> >> (no debugging symbols found)
> >> [snip many more lines]
> >> (no debugging symbols found)
> >
> >This means that you should install the corresponding -debuginfo rpms to
> >fill in the missing details in the backtrace.
> >
> Where might those be found?, yum shows nothing.

In the [fedora-debuginfo] repo, and you need not enable that one,
because there are tools to install them:

  $ rpm -qf $(which debuginfo-install)
  yum-utils-1.1.11-1.fc8

The Wiki has additional information about them and backtraces:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces

> How can I force an fsck on /dev/VolGroupVol00 on the next boot?

Add "forcefsck" to the command line.

> >Do you realise that it could be a segfault caused by corrupted input data
> >and not by corrupted packages? Depending on what libkmailprivate does in
> >this area of the code, it could be that it doesn't verify the input data
> >enough as would be necessary to prevent it from crashing.
>
> Should I, when things settle, file a bugzilla against libkmailprivate.so?  Or
> whatever it is that manages the .index files?

In the KDE bug tracker, yes. It's an error condition that ought to be
handled IMO.