Raid Card controller for FC System

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 18:20:05 UTC 2008

edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:39:22 +0800
>> edwardspl at ita.org.mo wrote:
>>

>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> Which model / type of ATA Raid card controller is good for work with New
>>> FC System ?
>>> Would you  please recommend ?
>>>

>> Almost every 'raid' controller for ATA devices is just driver level raid,
>> so equivalent to using the built in lvm/md raid support that works with
>> any devices. At the high end there are a few hardware raid cards but they
>> rarely outperform ordinary ATA on PCI Express.

>> http://www.nod32.com.hk
>>

> Hello Alan,
>
> So, which type of raid adapter are you using ?
>
> Thank for your help !
>
> Edward.

Edward,

The cheapest 4-port raid cards are typically $300US, the 8-port cards are quite
a bit more.   If you are a home user I would suggest not wasting your money on
the HW raid, and has others mentioned it is not really worth the extra money for
a home user, so use software raid.

Most of the cheaper cards are fakeraid and at best (if supported under DMRAID)
are only slightly better than software raid.

                              Roger