Howto get/build kernel docs from kernel-doc rpm?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Mar 24 18:45:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Neal Becker wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, Neal Becker wrote:
> >
> >> I want to get the kernel man9 pages.
> >>
> >> I have kernel-doc-2.6.24 rpm installed.
> >>
> >> In  /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.24/Documentation/DocBook/ is a
> >> Makefile, but it doesn't seem to work as-is:
> >>
> >> make pdfdocs
> >> make: *** No rule to make target `/scripts/kernel-doc', needed by
> >> `/wanbook.xml'.  Stop.
> >
> > the stuff under the DocBook directory is meant to be built by running
> > the appropriate "make" command from the top of the kernel source tree,
> > not from the makefile in that directory.  so, short answer -- i think
> > you need to get the source tree, that doc rpm simply doesn't have
> > everything you need to build those man pages.
> >
> Yeah, well, that sucks for Fedora.
>
> I grabbed kernel-docs noarch from opensuse.  Has all the manpages
> all ready to go.
>
> Please, can we have this for Fedora?

i would imagine it's easy enough to do -- the fedora person simply
needs to run the appropriate make *docs commands before bundling up
the Documentation directory for the kernel-doc package.  and i should
know -- i've spent my share of time hacking around down there.  :-)

put in a bugzilla on this.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.