NFS problem

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 18:49:28 UTC 2008

Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 12:55 -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:
>> Gerhard Magnus wrote:
>>> ssh works fine. I've been googling this problem and found that other
>>> people have had it and it may be a serious bug. Could it be that NFS
>>> doesn't work in fedora and that everybody uses samba anyway?
>>>
>> Nope, NFS works fine in FC8, both the default kernel, and a number of the
>> upgrade kernels, no one in their right mind uses SAMBA within a group of
>> Linux/Unix machines, Samba is typically only used when exporting Linux/Unix disk
>> to machines that don't have NFS support.
>>
>> "no route to host" *IS* a connection problem, run the commands "netstat -r" and
>> "ifconfig -a" on both the server and client machine, and return the output.
>>
>>                               Roger
>>
> OK... Here's the server:
>

> ...and the client:

I don't see anything in either that stands out as wrong, both machines are
plugged into the "LAN" ports of the router?

Try "arp -a" on both the client and server, and see what returns.

If the arp command does not show the other machine, try pinging the other
machine and rerun the "arp -a".

And can you both ping and ssh both directions?  client -> server and server ->
client?

                        Roger