/etc/resolv.conf changes

vincenzo romero new2xen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 19:49:18 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I'm getting frustrated attempting to understand; I googled and asked
folks and am unable to get a straight answer.

1.  How is the /etc/resolv.conf file maintained ?  I do not seem to
get a consistent result when I save resolv.conf configuration from GUI
or by hand using vim /etc/resolv.conf.

a.  Sometimes I the entries toggles between the two entries:

# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
; Use a local caching nameserver controlled by NetworkManager
nameserver 127.0.0.1

b.  then when I restart the network services some the /etc/resolv.conf
file appears like this:
# generated by NetworkManager, do not edit!
; Use a local caching nameserver controlled by NetworkManager
search lab.mycompany.com
nameserver 192.168.17.2

This host is:

- a DNS server that is authoritative for its domain within the
192.168.16/20 network
- I believe that even as DNS server, this host should have its
resolv.conf file configured to define itself as a DNS server, right?

I apologize for the naive questions, but I am a newbie and am unable
to gather a straightforward answer.

thanks in advance.

--
best,