Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Mon Mar 24 19:55:18 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/
>
> What is your experience ?
>
> Cheers,
> Valent.

I think I could have written that article myself.  I couldn't agree
more.  I've done the exact same thing, my servers are now CentOS, my
desktop is still Fedora.

I don't want to disrespect the Fedora community for all the work they do
because it is on the edge of the technology and it is very helpful to
all the projects the comprise Fedora to have so many  people using the
software and providing feedback.  Plus, how is open source software ever
going to become quality without lots of people testing/using/improving.

Unfortunately, everything that is beneficial about Fedora comes with the
price of 'not quite as well tested' status as RedHat or CentOS.

Honestly I feel like a backstabber by using CentOS because I've been
with Fedora since before Fedora (RedHat 5.1 was my first Linux
experience), and using CentOS is reaping the benefits with no contribution.

Is there a way for Fedora to deal with more of the bugs before releasing
and still remain a free distribution?  I don't know how.  If they do
manage to do this, what would be the point of paying for RedHat?