flash crash in firefox on youtube

Patrick fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 24 22:32:27 UTC 2008

Paul Johnson wrote:
> On my 2 Fedora 8 systems, I have this problem today for the first
> time. In Firefox, while browsing youtube, my system will crash when
> opening flv files.  Generally, I can view one show, and then when I
> click another one, the whole browser disappears.  It does not lock up
> at all, it just dies. It does not affect any other programs.
>
> I have not gone to youtube for a few weeks, and so I can't say if this
> problem is actually new, or if I just happened up on it.
>
> Would you please browse to youtube and try to watch a few and see if
> you get the same outcome?

I see the same crash consistently on my laptop running F8 i386 with
firefox-2.0.0.12-1.fc8.i386
flash-plugin-9.0.115.0-release.i386
libflashsupport-000-0.1.svn20070904.i386

Don't know if it is related but I saw similar random crashes with
mplayer. Googling around I read that those crashes were caused by a race
in pulseaudio in alsa. Once I added the patch to mplayer and rebuilt it,
it no longer crashes. Perhaps the crashing with flv files is also caused
by a pulseaudio bug in alsa.

Regards,
Patrick