Boot issue after changing m/b

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Tue Mar 25 00:56:15 UTC 2008

Chu Jeang Tan wrote:

> I've tried editing grub parameters by providing root=/dev/sda2
> (also tried hda2 and other combos) and getting the same error.
>
> I'm using FC8's kernel  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24.3-34.fc8 , there should
> not be an issue with lack of drivers?
>
> Any tips and directions towards solving this?

Did you change the grub line from root=LABEL=/ ? If not, try that. Also
I believe when you install a kernel, the initial ramdisk is built with
drivers based upon what controllers you have installed in the system. If
you move the hard disk to another machine it may not contain the
appropriate drivers.

There may be easier ways of doing it, but one solution that's worked for
me in the past is to boot off the CD/DVD in rescue mode, chroot
/mnt/sysimage then uninstall the kernel with rpm and then reinstall it,
ideally the same version. It should then rebuild the initial ramdisk
with the appropriate drivers. Note, it used to depend on the value of
the scsi_hostadapter settings in /etc/modprobe.conf to decide what
modules to use. I'm not sure if it still does but it might be worth
setting them to appropriate drivers for your sata/ata controllers.

--
Ian Chapman.