Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Mauriat M mirandam at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 14:40:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

>  I find the boast/warning that Fedora is "bleeding edge" slightly absurd.

Some may find the notion that Fedora is "stable" slightly absurd.

>  In my (probably limited) experience, it is neither more nor less reliable
>  than other distributions.

Your experience is your own, as this list so abundantly makes clear
each has their own experience.

>  The complaint in the posting that started this,
>  <http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/>,
>  seemed to be about some unspecified problem with ssh, under some kernel.
>  I don't recall anyone else mentioning this.
>  I certainly didn't notice any problem.

Fedora ships buggy kernels. As stated previously this is more
upstream's fault, however that being said, the kernel is the single
most critical aspect of the operating system. When it is buggy the
entire system is rather, ummm, buggy.

As for the TCP bug it seemed to be with every post 2.6.21 kernel.
While it helps me little if others have noticed it, it was 100%
reproducible for me. Since the information to me indicated this was
"fixed upstream", I just waited, which is most likely what I would
have been told to do. I have not recently tested the later 23 kernels
but last I checked the changelogs from kernel.org didn't reveal any
useful information.

I have been meaning to try the 24 kernels, but I was waiting till the
storm of "2.6.24 borked my system" was over.

I'll do some testing over the next few days. Its not fun doing "remote" testing.

>  I've actually gone over to CentOS-5.1 on my tiny server,
>  but that is because it is running on a Dell PowerEdge T105
>  (which for some reason Dell is or was selling for 150 euro)
>  and Dell lists CentOS among its 2 or 3 "acceptable OSes".
>  This means you get official Dell software and hardware related updates.
>
>  I haven't noticed any difference between CentOS and Fedora-8,
>  which I'm running on my other machines.

Perhaps you haven't looked hard enough, perhaps you don't need to.

>  In fact, I don't know which I am on (when accessing remotely)
>  except by looking at the name.

In any event I'm almost done migrating all "server" related functions
to a separate CentOS machine. That being said I find this whole thread
a little amusing.  Just a random rant on a random website by a random
Fedora user. Nothing new here, move along.

-Mauriat