Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 15:40:42 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> Fedora ships buggy kernels. As stated previously this is more
>>> upstream's fault,
>>
>> Beg your pardon, but just because someone writes broken code that
>> _does not_ force a distribution to ship it.
>
> Of course it does not force a distro to ship it...but if the distro
> expects that it will be handed "good code" and ships on that basis
> then.....
>
> Sorry, what is your point?

Fedora ships stuff with little or no testing.  More realistically,
fedora users _do_ the testing of new kernel development.  Personally, I
think every linux distro should have refused to ship 2.6 until a new
development branch was started.  2.2 and 2.4 became fairly stable at
around their x.x.20 releases because the experimental work was done in
an odd numbered development branch.  I don't foresee 2.6 ever
stabilizing the way it is currently handled and it is entirely up to the
distros to sort out what is usable.  This is good for the for-pay
enterprise distributions, of course, since it makes the others less
useful for anything where dependability matters.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com