Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 18:12:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> How many years have you maintained these servers and how much damage
> >> does downtime cause?
> >>
> > None, as they are almost all clustered/load balanced/redundant.
>
> OK, but you might have mentioned that in your first post which could
> have been taken to mean hundreds of different offices were each relying
> on the one server you set up there.  Fedora is OK if downtime doesn't
> matter.
>
> > Originally I was using RH 2.1 then 3, however, I found myself constantly
> > upgrading components because RH did not want to break "version"
> > compatibility for 5 years, which in my eyes is worse than binary
> > compatibly - Moores law and all that! so Fedora suits me down to the
> > ground.
> >
> > The only real issue is a stable kernel for your requirements, everything
> > else is less important, also I have a habit of running everything in
> > user-space so it's a lot easier to virtualize or switch out the
> > underlying OS if required.
>
> How do you virtualize "everything"?  You have to have a real kernel and
> device drivers somewhere. If that isn't an up-to-date fedora then you
> are talking about something very different than it seems here.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

am I the only person that voluntarily uses Fedora? I have only been using it
a short time  but i understood it was a moving target when i signed on.
This thread reminds me of KL. It wasn't that long ago so i am sure most of
you remember to whom i am referring.
Fedora is what it is and some have more experience than others. Is there
some other lesson to take away from this thread?

Max