What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 20:59:30 UTC 2008

Arch Willingham wrote:

> I first started dabbling with Linux about three years ago. The way I
> ended up using Fedora was it was the first link I clicked on that
> worked (I think it was FC3). Since that time, I have around fifteen
> machines running it. All of them run FC8 except my laptop which, as of
> yesterday, is running the beta of FC9.
>
> With that said, I have never seen any other version of Linux running
> except Fedora. What’s all the hype around Ubuntu? I realize I could
> download an install a copy but I never really saw any reason to since
> FCx seems to work great.
>
> I’m not trying to start a battle of which is better…just trying to get
> an idea of why its seems so popular.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Arch

Fedora: here's a box opener, have fun! If you cut yourself, we might
have some spare bandages - ask on the mailing list.
Ubuntu: here's a pair of safety scissors, enjoy! In the unlikely even
that you cut yourself, there's a full-service hospital at ubuntuforums.org

That's the way I see it, anyway :)

Ubuntu is more suited for getting the hell out of user's way & making
things safer/easier. Sometimes, that shtick means long time between
updates.. which is why I moved to Fedora. It's not that I like living on
the edge - it's just that I have a choice of whether or not I want to
update to latest versions/etc.