New motherboard ethernet interface

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 04:26:23 UTC 2008

Chris Kottaridis wrote:
> I had a Dell machine and the motherboard went belly up. So, I took my
> machine to a local Computer shop and the basically gave me a new chassis
> and motherboard, but kept my disk drives. Things are mostly working, but
> it, or rather me, seem to be a little bit confused about the on board
> ethernet.
>

> Doing an ifconfig -a shows:
>
> # ifconfig -a
> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1D:0F:C0:01:BC
>           inet addr:192.65.171.33  Bcast:192.65.171.63
>
> eth2      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1A:4D:5E:F2:75
>

> I am a little confused about udev remapping eth0 to eth1 and eth1 to
> eth2. Why isn't there an eth0 ?

Look in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts for the ifcfg-eth? files.  The
HWADDR = entries in the appropriate files need to match the real MAC
address from your new motherboard - that ifconfig displays.  If they
don't match, the interface won't come up.  You probably have some
invalid copies now and some new copies.

> So, how do I get Linux to recognize the new motherboard's ethernet card
> as eth0 instead of eth2 ?

Edit/rename the ifcfg-eth? files to make the filename, DEVICE= and
HWADDR= settings match what you want.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com