Catastrophic disk failure, where was smartd?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 26 14:49:48 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:35:49 -0500
> "David G. Mackay" <mackay_d at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> Shouldn't there have been some indication of problems prior to the
>> failure?
I suppose it depends on how fast the drive goes from "working" to "not
working."

> I have a feeling smartd is quite a lot like the emergency lights
> we have at work. They come on fine when you press the "test" button,
> but if the power actually goes out, they don't work at all :-).
>
> Most UPS boxes seem to be about the same. They'll be reporting
> self test OK and lots of battery life, then the power actually
> fails, and they fall over dead.

Really all it has to go on is the potential difference between positive
and negative connectors. The electronics aren't going to know how fast
it goes from 72V (about where my UPS should be) to something
unsatisfactory without actually running it (partially) down.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait