Raid Card controller for FC System

Joe Tseng joe_tseng at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 26 17:32:01 UTC 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Albert Graham" <agraham at g-b.net>
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: Raid Card controller for FC System

> I've used both on many occasions, but I prefer a good hardware raid
> controller, I like the idea that data integrity does not rely on my
> personal "expertise" or access at the time shit hits the fan, so for
> example, if a disk fails I can call the data center and say unplug disk #2
> and plug in the spare disk (assuming no hot spare) thank you boodbye, I
> can then head back to the beach :)
>
> Now, I know in your case it is for home use, but hey the link I posted you
> was top of the range card for only $300 and it does what it says on the
> tin :)

My inquiry was due to wondering how dependable was the data integrity in a
soft RAID if my system drive craps out.  I thought my data would be safer if
the RAID was less dependent on the system.  I suppose any corruption in a
soft RAID after replacing a failed drive is very rare, right?  That is
right, RIGHT?!?!?!  *anxietyattack*

> On the other hand lots of people like getting something for free and
> software raid gives you that, but your subject was "Raid Card Controller
> for FC System" right ?

As an aside, after alot of the back and forth on this list and alot of
intense usage of Linux at the office my computers will now all be VMWare
images running CentOS (esp after finding out there are no more FC6 updates).