What linux lacks most - a decent remote fs

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 17:42:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
>
>  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak
>  > OpenAFS
>  >
>  > http://www.openafs.org
>  >
>  > Does all this. Works great. Super stable. Server and client software
>  > for many platforms.
>  >
>  > pj
>  >
>  >
>  Is there an afs for fedora?

Yes, there are RPMS for fedora on www.openafs.org.  They also offer
the SRPM file so you can build the kernel module for some other
kernel.

It works great here.

Right now, the client I run some RPMS I built myself because I was
testing the koji kernels, but I think the standard updated fedora
would only need:

openafs-1.4.6-1.4f8.pj
openafs-client-1.4.6-1.4f8.pj
openafs-kernel-1.4.6-2.6.23.15_137.fc8_1

i'll make these available to you if you want.

I Will put in

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Fedora/i386/kups/packages.

 In these packages, I've hacked the site setup so that it works for my
site.  This way, I don't have to go around and customize all lab
computers.  If you look in the spec file, you'll see some stuff I put
in there to set those values, you can fiddle for your purpose.

We don't use the power that afs offers to link together all different
universities and such, so I don't have that whole web of servers
enabled.  But you can.  If you use the RPM from the openafs.org, it
will be a stock installation.

The openafs guys do have the spec file set up with a fedora option to
build kernel module kmod-openafs package, but I've been using this so
long that all our systems look for openafs-kernel and so I don't use
the special fedora packaging.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson