Catastrophic disk failure, where was smartd?

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Wed Mar 26 21:16:24 UTC 2008

On Wednesday March 26 2008 1:27:45 pm Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > Shouldn't there have been some indication of problems prior
> > to the failure?
>
> Only if you are lucky. Someone at Google published some
> information about smart around a year ago. In cases where
> catastrophic failures occur, for a high percentage there is no
> warning from smart.

>From the google hard drive study:
Our key findings are:
• Contrary to previously reported results, we found
very little correlation between failure rates and either
elevated temperature or activity levels.
• Some SMART parameters (scan errors, reallocation
counts, offline reallocation counts, and probational
counts) have a large impact on failure probability.
• Given the lack of occurrence of predictive SMART
signals on a large fraction of failed drives, it is unlikely
that an accurate predictive failure model can
be built based on these signals alone

Their database was in excess of 100,000 hard drives. Details
available here:
http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf

--
Claude Jones