What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 27 01:47:25 UTC 2008

Ian Chapman wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>>> But I must admit, I never really understood that viewpoint as yum has
>>> basically eliminated "dependency hell" and wondered what was
>>> magically different about deb.
>>
>> Try to find something that isn't included in the standard repository.
>> With fedora, you won't even find the names of additional repositories
>> documented, so you ask here.  You'll get several different answers and
>> if you are looking for Sun Java, none of them will apply.  For
>> anything else, like vlc or the Nvidia driver, you add all the
>> recommended repos and tell yum to install something and you'll get rpm
>> conflicts.   With ubuntu, you enable the pre-configured extra
>> repositories, pick what you want and you are ready to run it.
>
> So it seems it's more about packaging strategy and what distros offer,
> rather than debs necessarily being inherently superior to rpm. I can
> understand what you've said in the context of Fedora and Ubuntu but Suse
> offers much of the same "non-free" stuff. Maybe Mandriva too I can't
> remember. I'd always assumed they were referring to the days when you
> tried to install program1.rpm which then said it needed libfoo.rpm,
> which in turn needed libbar.so.1 which you had to figure how which rpm
> it was in and so on, which is why I thought that viewpoint seemed outdated.

debs have different information, and the ability to have different
strength dependencies:
requires, like with rpm
recommends - may work better with these
suggests -- may work better with these.

At one point (years ago) I had to install X on RHL to use Ghostscript.
Complete nonsense of course, but dpkg might have handled that better.

apt-get is about equivalent to yum, but does more such as download and
(optionally) build source - it can get and install build deps too, it's
quicker (at least with simple stuff) (at least with default options).
apt-get (like up2date) can download updates without installing them:
   apt-get -yud dist-upgrade

yum's tools might be equivalent, but it's a terrible mish-mash. AFAIK
there's no proper equivalent _in yum_ to the above apt-get command which
fetches all available updates and copes with adding new packages - it's
not only for release upgrades equivalent to f8 to f9.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait