Confessions of a secret NM user

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Mar 27 15:14:58 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Mea culpa.
>
> Having attacked NM (NetworkManager) unmercifully in the past,
> I now find myself completely at his (her?) mercy,
> as he/she is the only way of connecting one of my current laptop
> (with WiFi) to the real world.
>
> For some reason, system-config-network has been getting steadily worse
> over the last few months, and now does not work at all.
> (At its best it worked about 65% of the time.)
>
> Is anyone successfully using the network service + system-config-network
> with Fedora-8 (updated)?
>
> To be more precise, has anyone found themselves NOT connected with WiFi,
> and found the problem solved by running system-config-network?

Yes.  Easily 95% of my systems are hard-wired and use system-config-
network (well, make that "service network start").  They're all using
fixed IPs, though.

I've only used NM/NMD on very rare occasions.  Even my laptop on wifi
with WPA nodes and DHCP uses the regular stuff.  I did have to sort out
wpa_supplicant and dhclient things, but that wasn't hard to do.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -