[OT] Determining Video Formats

Paul Lemmons paul.lemmons at tmcaz.com
Thu Mar 27 16:25:09 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: [OT] Determining Video Formats
From: "David G. Mackay" <mackay_d at bellsouth.net>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date: 03/27/2008 07:43 AM

> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 10:05 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>>> I was/am in a similar situation trying to figure out a way to transcode
>>> videos for my son's Zune. So far the only tool that has worked is crappy
>>> MS Movie Maker. Anyway, I found this windows tool which I think is free:
>>> GSpot. Just google and it should be the first thing returned.
>>>
>>> I will check out tovid as well!
>> Note that most Linux transcoders are simply frontends to parts of the
>> 'transcode' package, which has a zillion options and can almost
>> certainly do what you want if you can figure it out :-)
>>
>> ffmpeg is also useful and somewhat simpler.
>
> transcode has tcprobe, which tries to get information about audio and
> video from a media source.  He also indicated that he might use
> mencoder, which implies that he might have mplayer as well.  Running
> mplayer in a console with the -v flag set gives you a ton of information
> about what's playing.
>
> Dave

I really appreciate all of the responses so far. The one command that I
have found that gives me most of what I need is:

mencoder -msglevel all=6 myfile.avi -o /dev/null

It errors out but before it does it drops a lot of information about the
file.

I will try tcprobe when I get home. I don't have any of the problem
avi's here at work.