Raid Card controller for FC System

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Mar 27 21:09:05 UTC 2008

Roger Heflin wrote:

> Yeah, the good controllers that give good speed are all PCI-X or PCI-e
> you just cannot get speed with PCI.

I will let you make your own determination of "good speed" here, but the
oldest and slowest PCI bus is 32 bits at 33MHz, or 127MB/s. The most
common is v2.1 spec, 64 bits at 66MHz, or 400-500MB/s actually
measurable at bus limits. So for most users, the disk is going to be a
bottleneck first.

It's something to be aware of before writing off bad performance as
"slow bus" limitations.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>