IP translation

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Mar 27 21:27:19 UTC 2008

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:

> I need a MAGIC BOX to do this
>

> ------ IP ADD 1, PORT 1 ---->   MAGIC BOX -----> IP ADD 2, PORT 2
> (eg convert something like 192.168.5.191/3660 to something like
> 192.168.5.100/222
> but this is just an example).
>
> Can anyone suggest anything?  Preferably with a router (we have Linksys
> BEFSX41)
> or with CentOS 4.5 (would have to be on the outgoing side).

You can do this with a trivial iptables setup, although you will want to
use some thought about the setup, use DNAT on the incoming packets. I
would worry about overhead, but if you have enough capacity to run 100
copies of MySQL, you have either tons of capacity or larger problems
than iptables overhead.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>