mount.cifs Example please?

Sean Bruno sean.bruno at dsl-only.net
Thu Mar 27 23:01:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 06:50 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Sean Bruno wrote:

> >> What is wrong with reading "man mount.cifs"?
> >
> > Hmmm...obviously, I fail at expressing my frustration with the man page
> > for mount.cifs.
> >
> > My point was that the man page for mount.cifs didn't lead me to a
> > solution if I didn't already know the syntax of mount.cifs.
> >
> > A simple addition of a few examples of invocation would have saved me a
> > ton of time.
>
> I see.  Well, if the maintainer of the man page reads this list he may add
> to it.  Then again, he may wonder why doing a google on "mount cifs
> examples" wouldn't have also helped.

The google search you suggest is exactly what I did to find my answer.
I don't really think that is my point, but I do understand that I did
find my answer so, "What am I complaining about?"

IMO, something like what I am suggesting is exactly the purpose of a man
page.  Namely, its a reference for folks to remind them of the syntax
and options of a command.

Is what I am proposing just a bit too specific for a man page EXAMPLES
section?  If so, I'm willing to just drop it.

Sean