mount.cifs Example please?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Thu Mar 27 23:08:23 UTC 2008

Sean Bruno wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 06:50 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Sean Bruno wrote:

>>> Hmmm...obviously, I fail at expressing my frustration with the man page
>>> for mount.cifs.
>>>
>>> My point was that the man page for mount.cifs didn't lead me to a
>>> solution if I didn't already know the syntax of mount.cifs.
>>>
>>> A simple addition of a few examples of invocation would have saved me a
>>> ton of time.
>> I see.  Well, if the maintainer of the man page reads this list he may add
>> to it.  Then again, he may wonder why doing a google on "mount cifs
>> examples" wouldn't have also helped.
>>
> The google search you suggest is exactly what I did to find my answer.
> I don't really think that is my point, but I do understand that I did
> find my answer so, "What am I complaining about?"
>
> IMO, something like what I am suggesting is exactly the purpose of a man
> page.  Namely, its a reference for folks to remind them of the syntax
> and options of a command.
>
> Is what I am proposing just a bit too specific for a man page EXAMPLES
> section?  If so, I'm willing to just drop it.

I think it is a fine idea to contact the man page maintainer and make the
suggestion/request.  Just want to make sure that you know he may not be
reading this list.  Also, cause I've been there done that, you need to be
prepared for the maintainer contending that this:

mount.cifs {service} {mount-point} [-ooptions]

in the man page is sufficient and a google would return more examples than
he could supply in the man page anyway.  Maintainers can have their own
ideas and can be a bit stubborn at times.  :-)