Fedora 8, Limited updates to F9 Release, Possible?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Mar 29 16:56:54 UTC 2008

Neal Becker wrote:
>>> So I can keep what I have set for myself,
>>> take advantage of F9 "tweaks\essential" updates.
>>> Without doing the whole backup restore thing.
>> I think you'll find that most of the F9 packages depend on different
>> versions of essential libraries, so it's not really practical. Recently
>> I tried updating Evolution from Rawhide and yum wanted to change over
>> 100 other packages. Naturally I declined.
>>
>> poc
>>

> You should be able to pull in specific rpms using:
> yum --enablerepo=development install whatever

A great deal of programs that depend on library upgrades were rebuilt
for Fedora 9. That is probably the reason why so many programs were
included for update. A lot of times though it is dangerous to try to
pull in pieces of Fedora 9 into Fedora 8. For example the X server is
quite different and versions for Fedora 8 may be later than what is used
in rawhide, updates testing anyway.

--
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things
difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.