Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 169.12,

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Sun Mar 30 09:10:32 UTC 2008

Le 29.03.2008 19:26, Gene Heskett a écrit :
| On Saturday 29 March 2008, François Patte wrote:
|> Bonjour,
|>
|> I have an Nvidia graphic card and use dkms_autoinstaller to
|> install/compile the driver from freshrpms.
|>
|> I get this message:
|>
|> Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 169.12,
|> but this NVIDIA driver component has version 169.07.  Please make
|> sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
|> have the same version.
|> NVIDIA: Direct rendering failed; attempting indirect rendering.
|> Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 169.12,
|> but this NVIDIA driver component has version 169.07.  Please make
|> sure that the kernel module and all NVIDIA driver components
|> have the same version.
|> NVIDIA: Direct rendering failed; attempting indirect rendering.
|>
|> How can I correct this?
|>
| I have my own installer routine, but you need to do the sh
./NVIDIA*.run once
| at the beginning of using a new version as that will rebuild all the
| libraries and such with the proper versioning.  I suspect that this dkms
| thingy does it like my script in that it only builds the kernel
module, and
| if the libraries don't match, it will error out with messages resembling
| those.

OK fine, I understand now, it is not exactly what you are saying: before
installing dkms, I used to build the driver from nvidia package.run.
Though I uninstalled this from uninstall command line, some libraries
from the previous install remain.

One more question: shall I remove these libraries without any
precautions and restart X, or do I have to be carefull to something?

The install is like this:

from NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-169.07-pkg2.run, remain:

/usr/lib/libGL.so.169.07
/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.169.07
/usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.169.07
/usr/lib64/libGL.so.169.07
/usr/lib64/libGLcore.so.169.07
/usr/lib64/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.169.07

(BTW I don't know why 32 bits libraries were built?!)

from dkms, the whole library stuff is in /usr/lib64/nvidia/, do the
driver will find them without modifying some conf file somewhere?

Thanks for advices.
- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique