Linux is KING - Couldn't be hacked - Mac, Vista went down in flames

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sun Mar 30 09:56:05 UTC 2008

Manuel Aróstegui wrote:
> El sáb, 29-03-2008 a las 12:24 -0400, Jim escribió:
>> Read article
>
> That's cool, but it's far to be the real scenario we face everyday.
> I guess that Linux box was secure but the truth here, as far as I've
> been able to see is that either Windows or Linux (I have no mac
> experience) are both pretty insecure if they're been running by a dumb
> administrator.
> It is clear that a Linux, out of the box, has less chances to be hacked
> than a windows in the same situation.
>
> But for me, this hacking contest does not represent a real scenario.
>
> Anyways, I'm glad Linux survived, do not take me wrong :-)
> Manuel

Let's also not forget the most important part of the article - it
mentioned something about Java allowing MS security to be circumvented.

That leads me to think that if Java was not installed on that box, would
it have been hacked?

Perhaps not. So, I think the article is very misleading. To me, I could
care either way. as pointed out else where in this thread, a properly
patched and managed box (under any OS) can be very difficult to hack.

I wonder why (at least in this article) OpenBSD was not mentioned.
Perhaps it was just a session that was betwix Linux & MS.

Best Regards,

Chris