Linux, Vista dual boot

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 00:05:40 UTC 2008

Mike Burger wrote:
>> Jim wrote:
>>> Can Fedora Linux be setup to dual boot with Vista as easy as XP, what
>>> filesystem type does Vista use ??

(Ian Malone:)
>> Vista uses NTFS of some description.  I have a Vista/F8 dual boot which
>> uses a shared NTFS partition for data quite happily.
>>

 > Last I checked, NTFS support in the Linux kernel was, basically, read
 > only...how do you share the data partition so easily?

Kernel NTFS is read-only (as far as I know), but the user-space NTFS
support using FUSE does do read-write (I've got this on a F6/XP machine
too[1]).  It should be noted, I suppose, that this is a single user
laptop and I'm not doing anything funny with ACLs.

[1] Haven't had the time to upgrade to F8.

--
imalone