gdm login busted

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 31 12:15:48 UTC 2008

Jim Duda wrote:
> I recently upgraded from fc7 to fc8, about a week ago.
>
> Today, my gdm login is busted.  After I enter my user name and password,
> gdm just hangs, and never starts up the desktop.
>
> I have to boot the computer into init 3, login to a shell, then run startx.
>
> I do know what I could have done to break this.
Cause I don't ;-)

What day did it last work normally ?
review /var/log/yum.log  {and others if the logs have rolled over} for
around that date to see if any unexpected updates were made.

Do you normally reboot every day ?

Do you have an up2date kernel 2.6.24... ?

That icon might now be called System|Administration|login window
{/usr/bin/gdmsetup}.