NetworkManager is driving me crazy

don vogt donvogt2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 31 14:14:17 UTC 2008

Matthew Saltzman said

Pidgin needs something in libnm_glib.so.0, which is
provided by
NetworkManager-glib.  This doesn't sound like such a
great thing, but
evolution also has that requirement.

If it bothers you, file a Bugzilla entry suggesting
that the relevant
functions be broken out of NetworkManager-glib.

You should be able to remove other NetworkManager
packages without
removing NetworkManager-glib.  You should also be able
to just shut it
off (/sbin/service NetworkManager stop;
/sbin/chkconfig NetworkManager
stop; same for NetworkManagerDispatcher--the first
stops it running now,
the second prevents it from starting on boot).

I don't really understand yum's view of dependencies.
The logic of
removing a package and everything it depends on, and
everything that
depends on those packages, etc., escapes me.[1]  Use
rpm to remove
packages if you don't want yum to run amok deleting
other stuff.

[1] I could understand removing a package and
everything it depends on
that doesn't, in turn, have something else depending
on it.  But this
way, it seems like removing almost anything can end up
ripping most of a
functioning system out by the roots.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mj

 Thanks I will fool with removing that.

Craig said:

chkconfig NetworkManager off
chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher off
chkconfig network on
service NetworkManager stop
service network restart

at this point, system-config-network will work just
like it always has.

NetworkManager is useful when you are using wireless
or just dhcp but
'network' service works fine with dhcp too.

Craig

 Thanks. I did those commands and it seems to be
working fine. That is the way I ran in fc7. I guess a
"yum upgrade" would have avoided the whole thing. I
still have the fc7 partition so, when I am comfortable
in fc8, I may run the upgrade to compare the
differences.
 Thanks.