What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

Harrison Caudill harrison.caudill at hypersphere.org
Mon Mar 31 19:32:56 UTC 2008

I've been an ubuntu user since Google.  The software available 'out of
the box' is significantly more extensive than redhat/fedora/centos,
and a bit more friendly to the end-user.  Some people (myself
included) prefer debian-based systems (*buntu, knoppix, etc.) as
compared to the redhat-based systems for their home-systems.

Ubuntu tends to be a bit further up the dev pipeline than fedora, and
more geared towards home/dev-environment use rather than server-use.
The installation process is also a bit simpler imo (using the
'double-click-to-install' method) causing a lower entry-barrier.

All that being said, I started using Ubuntu for the same reason I
started using Python: my job demanded it, so, at this point, I'm
accustomed to it.

I realize that much of this explanation is a bit hand-wavy -- that's
quite deliberate.  In most cases, it seems to simply be a matter of
taste.

+$.02

-Harrison