Fedora 8 and a Hauppauge PVR-350

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Sat May 3 11:59:42 UTC 2008

R. G. Newbury wrote:

> First my bad, I guess I was anticipating Fedora 9, I'm still running
> Fedora 8.... sorry for the confusion..
>
> I tried installing ivtv and I had no luck:
>
> [root at wisdom yum.repos.d]# yum install ivtv
>  * livna: mirror.atrpms.net
>  * fedora: mirror.umoss.org
>  * adobe-linux-i386: linuxdownload.adobe.com
>  * updates: mirror.umoss.org
> Setting up Install Process
> Parsing package install arguments
> No package ivtv available.
> Nothing to do
>

> I did however find ivtv-firmware and installed that.
>
> What repo can I find ivtv?
>
> ************************
> You will always experience dependency problems if you have atrpms and
> livna enabled at the same time, and do indiscriminate updates. They
> each have mutually contradictory copies of some packages.
>
> You need to enable atrpms and disable the livna repo in /etc/yum.repos.d
> Before you go any further, go to rpm.livna.org and look at the
> available rpms. You want to REMOVE any of them which you have
> installed ( rpm -qa | grep whatever) while you fix things.
>
> Then, with atrpms enabled, you can go to atrpms.net and look at the
> available packages and install what you need, including the entire
> mythtv-suite, ivtv and ivtv-firmware, using yum. Jarod Wilson's guide
> is still the install cook-book, even though written for fedora 6.
> Things have only gotten easier since then.
>
> NOTHING on atrpms will conflict with fedora or fedora-updates and you
> should have no dependency problems. Basically all of the needed
> libraries are on atrpms.net.
>
> When you are done with atrpms, you can enable livna (and disable
> atrpms: never both together!), to install the few remaining programs
> which you might want, such as xine-extras-non-free, or a pre-made
> nvidia + kernel module combination.
>
> For the same reasons, you should be careful with dag's repo.
>
> Geoff

As much as I want to get this card up and running and seeing that Fedora
9 is less than 2 weeks away I think I'm going to sit tight and wait for
Fedora 9's release and do a fresh install on the OS filesystems.  I have
a feeling that it might be less work in the long run.

Lastly, the multiple repo's are probably one of Fedora's biggest assets
and biggest downfalls.  I appreciate all the repo maintainers do for the
Fedora users, they have made my life a lot easier in that I can just
simply install a package which has usually been properly compiled and
set to install on the system.  The downside is mixing and matching
repo's can really ruin your day.  It would be great if the repo
maintainers could come up with a common and compatible distribution scheme.

Jeff