firefox plugins

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue May 6 00:25:42 UTC 2008

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2008-05-05, Gerhard Magnus <magnus at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> Fedora's Firefox looks in /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14/plugins, but some
> 3rd party plugin installers drop them in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. Just
> create sym-links from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins to
> /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14/plugins, e.g.:
>
> ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/* /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14/plugins/

Firefox is *supposed* to use an internal search path to look for
plugins.  (According to the last Mozilla documentation I read) its
supposed to include the current install directory (in this case
/usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.14.plugins), a generic firefox location (usually
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins) and the old mozilla directory
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.  If Fedora is modifying this path, then they
are changing users expectations, which usually is a bad thing.  However,
I will agree with you.  I haven't had luck with the above either, and I
usually end up putting symlinks in place to make it work the way I want
it to.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com