HP Scanner on F8

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Wed May 7 17:31:20 UTC 2008

Jonathan Allen wrote, On 05/07/2008 12:00 PM:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to install a scanner in an F8 environment.  The scanner is an
> HP 5590P scanner, 0x03f0/0x1705.  As a relatively new device, this is not
> directly known to F8.  But it is known to F9, so I 'force' installed
> sane-backends-1.0.19-10.fc9.i386 to bring it in.

did you remove the original sane backends package?
do you know that the f9 sane-backends will work with the ones for f8?
do you know, for sure, that the sane-backends compiled with the latest gcc/g++
on f9 will work with the libc[++] on f8?

suggestion, if you really want the f9 package ... don't use force, having to
use force should be an indication to you that you are doing something that
should not be done, unless you KNOW what you are doing.
figure out what package[s] you need to install
rpm -q --whatprovides `locate sane-find-scanner`
rpm -q --whatprovides `locate scanimage`
rpm -q --whatrequires sane-backends
rpm -q --requires sane-backends

then grab the srpm's from f9
sane-backends-1.0.19-10.fc9.src.rpm
sane-frontends-1.0.14-4.fc9.src.rpm
xsane-0.995-3.fc9.src.rpm

build them (so you know they work with the libs on your system) and UPGRADE to
the new rpms (don't force).

--
Todd Denniston