Aloowing access to specific samba users

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat May 10 15:10:15 UTC 2008

Bob Latham wrote:

> Anyway, I have added the user to the share but of course windows still
> refuses to have anything to do with it. I'm guessing but windows doesn't
> ask for a user name and password as I would expect (error: The account is
> not authorized to log in from this station) so I think that linux is using
> the password the PC user is logged on to the PC with which is not what I
> want at all. How do you make it ask for a user name and password? Bah.
> Exasperation!
>
> I've only being trying just over a week to share a folder with a user name
> and password so that any windows user that knows the password can access
> the share. A 30 second job on W98 its like climbing Everest on Linux.

A couple of things - first, with Win98 you are normally using share
rather then user security when you share a directory on that
machine. Also, because Windows and Linux uses different password
encryption, you have to give Samba users a password in addition to
the standard Linux password. They can be the same, and it can be set
up so that they are kept in sync once created.

If you want to use the Linux passwords directly, you have to tell
Windows to yous unencrypted passwords. This is somewhat of a
security risk. This is covered in the Samba documentation.

Mikkel