KDE 4...

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu May 15 13:02:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 11:18 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 18:20 -0400, Mike Chalmers wrote:
> > What do y'all think of KDE 4? It doesn't seem to be as technical as
> > KDE 3 to me, I don't like that. The system configuration lacks
> > options, I can't figure out how to get things the way that I want
> > them, etc. I am not saying that it is not good, though. That maybe it
> > just needs more options.
> >
> > Just wondering what y'all thought.
> >

> IMHO, KDE4-release was underwhelming and shouldn't have been released
> until it reached feature a parity with KDE 3.5.x.
> IMO, bugs and crashes can be forgiven - but not having an option to set
> the order of applets on a panel (only added in 4.0.3?) or change the
> appearance of the panel was inexcusable.

I think most people would put it the other way round. I can
(temporarily) live with not being able to order the panel applets, as
long as the thing doesn't crash and burn.

Reaching feature-parity with 3.5 is going to happen faster the more
people are using it. Fedora is meant to be a bleeding-edge distro, so
there are always going to be some things that limp along on a wing and a
prayer. Other distros like Ubuntu are more into stability, which is why
Hardy Heron is still on KDE 3.5 (with an option for 4) and an older
kernel.

poc