Live USB wireless connection

Daniel Y. Zhang yozhang at redhat.com
Mon May 19 14:14:58 UTC 2008

> >From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSID:
>
> "This method is not secure, because every time someone connects to the
> network, the SSID is transmitted in cleartext even if the wireless
> connection is otherwise encrypted. An eavesdropper can passively sniff
> the wireless traffic on that network undetected (with something like
> Kismet), and wait for someone to connect, revealing the SSID."
>
> poc

Thanks for your reply! So hidding SSID makes no sense at all. The funny
thing is in my DLINK router, there is a check box to hide the SSID which
seems an illusion to the users that hidding SSID is safer. I alway avoid
using wireless connection for important online transactions such as
banking, ecommerce etc. I do it on my wired machines.