upgrade to fedora 9 bash fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon May 19 23:27:19 UTC 2008

On 19May2008 10:36, mark <markkicks at gmail.com> wrote:
| I upgraded to FC9 from FC8, I never had a problem with FC8. Now I get
| this error when I try to start a python app, or do anything on a
| regular basis.
| I have over 13GB free RAM, and only 2GB of it is used. The box is a
| dual quad core Intel Xeon 5405 with 16GB RAM.

I wish I had such a box:-)

| bash fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
| uname -a
| Linux XXX 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue May 13 04:54:47 EDT 2008
| x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
|
| free -m
|              total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
| Mem:         16086       3189      12896          0         42        666
| -/+ buffers/cache:       2481      13605
| Swap:         1983          0       1983
|
| In /var/log/messages  this is the only weird message
| May 19 10:32:16 XXX kernel: possible SYN flooding on port 80. Sending cookies.

Are you running a web server? It may be forking like mad trying to
service these requests...

| have only 425 processes running
| ps aux | wc -l
| 425

Does "ps axf" tell you anything useful/unusual? I find it more helpful
than "aux" because it shows the parent/child tree.

Hmm, another thought. See what ulimit says about your process limit;
maybe F9 have some default limits that F8 did not.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

A long-forgotten loved one will appear soon. Buy the negatives at any price.