F9: Telinit 5 and make it stick

Javier Perez pepebuho at gmail.com
Thu May 22 16:00:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-05-20 at 18:17 +0100, Bill Crawford wrote:
> > 2008/5/20 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>:
> >
> > > Again: not. All that line does is to set the default runlevel to 5,
> > > which is what he wants, so changing that isn't going to solve his
> > > problem. The issue is what's actually happening at level 5, and that's
> > > no longer specified in the /etc/inittab file but in the scripts
> > > in /etc/event.d.
> >
> > If he has that line in /etc/inittab and it's not working then he may
> > have a runlevel set on the kernel command line (but I asssumed he'd
> > know about that already). Otherwise, the issue he described (the
> > runlevel not "sticking") should be solved by putting it in
> > /etc/inittab (since upstart was made to read that again shortly prior
> > to the release by Bill Nottingham, IIRC).
>
> The only place /etc/inittab is read (as far as I can see) is
> in /etc/event.d/rcS, and that is only to set the runlevel to what
> initdefault says. In other words, you can't use it directly to start
> arbitrary processes like you could before.
>
> In fact it even says so at the top of the file:
>
>        # inittab is only used by upstart for the default runlevel.
>        #
>        # ADDING OTHER CONFIGURATION HERE WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON YOUR
> SYSTEM.
>
> In any case, I think we're both now in the realm of speculation as to
> what the OP is actually seeing.
>
> poc
>
> --

I solved it.
The problem was a missing /etc/X11/prefdm

I had deleted it thinking that it was part of "X Windows System"  group, but
it is not, it is provided on "initscripts" (go figure)

I wanted to do a clean X reinstallation and I had erased the whole /etc/X11
subdirectory. It's working fine now,

Thanks all!!!!

JP

--