Fedora 9 - Wireless SUCCESS - Use TKIP, not AES

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Sun May 25 05:04:50 UTC 2008

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> john wendel wrote:
>>
>> After several hours of fiddling with the non-working wireless network
>> in my new Fedora installation, I noticed in the log file a list of
>> supported security modules - and "WPA - AES" wasn't in the list.
>>
>> So, I changed my router to use "WPA - TKIP" instead of "WPA - AES". I
>> then restarted the box, and got an perfect wireless connection.
>>
>> It would really be nice if the #$$%%# software would have mentioned
>> that it doesn't support "AES".
>
> I'm confused.  So why does my connection at home work using WPA-AES?
> I'm using a Linksys wrt54g, stock.  NetworkManger w/wpa_supplicant on my
> F9 laptop.  As a matter of fact, it works both for me at home, and at my
> mother's place where her router is configured for WPA-TKIP....
>
> What are you missing that I already have?
>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John

Well, I'm obviously more confused than you. I sldo have a Linksys wrt54g
V6 (sort of old), if that makes any difference. I'm running F9 with all
the latest updates on an Acer with Intel IPW2200 (again, not the latest
stuff) wireless. I was previously running Fedora 6 and it was working fine.

Thanks for letting me know that AES should work. Maybe I'll experiment
with it some more.

John