Fedora 9 and Security

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu May 29 23:31:54 UTC 2008

Andras Simon wrote:
> On 5/28/08, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> You can use uuids, labels or device names. Nothing has changed there. The
>> defaults the installer uses have changed, and it makes no sense for the
>> installer to ask new users questions like
>>
>> Use UUID, LABEL or device name ?"
>
> How about old users? Perhaps in this new-user-friendly form:
>
> "Use UUID (recommended), LABEL or device name ?"
>
> Disclaimer: I've never heard of uuids before. But perhaps it'd make
> sense for those of us who are using older releases of Fedora, have
> several partitions, and would like to install F9 in a separate
> partition so we can go back to F8 or F7 in case something goes
> wrong, to chose LABEL.

Unless the new install has the same LABEL as one of the old ones. I know
three people who have been bitten by using LABEL and getting duplicates,
the beauty of UUID is that you won't get a dup with multiple installs,
you won't copy a filesystems only or off of a USB drive and plug the
drive with the old duplicate name back in a year later.

UUID is ugly, but useful.

>> Because the answer in 99.99% cases is "uh ??"
>>

> Or: "OK, let me chose the default".

And the reason it's default is that it's least likely to fail if the
user starts replugging drives, moving them, etc.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>