F8 -> F9 horror

Eric Mesa ericsbinaryworld at gmail.com
Fri May 30 14:16:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:09 AM, <fedora-list-request at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 21:12 +0930, Tim wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 10:09 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > > If you want old stuff, use Fedora 8, not 9.
> >
> > Has 8 got proper working sound yet?  And without having to rip out
> > pulseaudio to achieve it?
>
> FWIW, I'm running F9 (w/ pulseaudio) and everything seems to be working
> great.  I have banshee running at the same time as a few games and it
> Just Works (TM).  Not sure what issues you were running into.  Adobe
> Flash works fine (if you install libflashsupport).  I don't use Skype on
> this computer, so I don't know if that works.
>
> Jonathan
> -------------- next part --------------

I upgraded from Fedora 7 to Fedora 8 via yum upgrade method a week or so
after F8 came out and pulseaudio worked perfectly for me.  I've been able to
use to to mute games (like CrackAttack) while I listen to Rhythmbox.
Perhaps something in the yum upgrade method just works better than a fresh
install or a disc upgrade?  I don't know, but I haven't had any problems
with it at all.  Nor have I had problems with it on my Ubuntu 8.04 machine
either.  Perhaps people who are complaining about pulseaudio have a red
herring on their hands?  Maybe something changed that no longer supported
their audio card at the same time that pulseaudio was introduced?

Any time you're using anything but OSX on Apple hardware it's going to be
tough because you could have a nearly infinite configuration of hardware, so
what works for me and what works for Jonathan, above, may not work for you.
However, I'm here to tell you that it worked from day one for me.  (And I've
really enjoyed it!)

--
Eric Mesa
http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com