Howto get an automatic Wifi connection?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu May 1 00:23:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 01:34 +0200, Patrick wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a PC with F8 & a usb wifi dongle and I would like to configure
> the PC that when it boots it will automagically negotiate a WPA2/PSK
> 802.11g link with my Access Point and get an IP address from the DHCP
> server behind the AP.

Given that the Wifi is via a USB dongle, the first order of business
would be to make sure your system recognizes it and has the appropriate
drivers. Can you use iwconfig, iwlist etc?

If that all works then you need to look at configuring wpa_supplicant,
which is where the WPA stuff is handled.  It in turn may need to
interact with dhclient and then of course you want to start it up on
boot. I've managed to do this once in a while on Ubuntu and Fedora, but
it is definitely a head-banger to get going. Once it works you don't
touch anything and it generally keeps working. Google is your friend :-)

poc