Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Thu May 1 01:50:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 17:15 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> max bianco wrote:
>
> > Adobe Flash is something I can't for the life of me figure out why
> > anyone would use. You can't kill the adds like you can with gnash and
> > it leaves a gaping security hole in everything it touches.
> >
> Because it is the closest thing we have to a universal video format.
> Pure and simple, if I want to put out something like a "How to assemble"
> or a video of a meeting, I could do wmv for the MS folk, and ogg for the
> Linux folk, and {can't remember} for the Mac folk (I have a script for
> ffmpeg), or I can do flash and everyone can use it.
>
> If you want to communicate with others, and view their communication
> with you, flash is the format to use.
>
> If you never communicate with the outside world, it's optional.

I don't agree with that- flash is well overused on the web by web
developers too lazy to do a job the right way so that everyone can use
it. That said, if ogg is supposed to be OSS, then that would meant that
windows users could view it, and I would think that Mac users could too-
so there you have it: a better solution. Just requires a little more
thought.

I know I come across a little harsh on this issue, but there is rather
unrealistic view that everyone can view a flash file straight up. I'm
sorry but you're dead wrong. Their are so many reasons why a flash could
not be viewed- limitations on the adobe license for a platform,
restrictions placed on desktop use, etc. Sure, it can look fun, it may
be easy use for someone who is low on correct training and looking to
make a quick buck, but there are better, more accessible solutions out
there which should be used instead. This is even more important when you
wish to reach the widest audience.