Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 1 02:13:23 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 11:50 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> I don't agree with that- flash is well overused on the web by web
> developers too lazy to do a job the right way so that everyone can use
> it. That said, if ogg is supposed to be OSS, then that would meant
> that windows users could view it, and I would think that Mac users
> could too- so there you have it: a better solution. Just requires a
> little more thought.

Though that's putting the shoe on the other foot.  Now, it's the hapless
Windows user, who typically would have no idea how to add ogg support to
their box, who's got to figure out how to view something.

One reason that you won't get widespread support for open systems, like
ogg, is that those who develop such things don't want to support digital
rights management (i.e. letting outsiders control what the user can and
cannot do), and content suppliers typically want to control what you can
do (e.g. they stream audio/video so that you can watch it, but you can't
save it - which makes dial-up viewing next to impossible).  Content
suppliers will use something else that suits them, and damn the users.

Whilst there are restrictions on Flash, and hazards with using it, it
will have the largest user base, already, for being able to simply view
something non-static in the web browser.

I just had a very quick search around, and I couldn't see a way to add
ogg viewing to MSIE (e.g. theora).  Sure, I can add things so that I can
play ogg vorbis audio files in a player, but not view embedded content.
And embedded content is what most suppliers want to use.

Theora would need quite a bit of improvement, too.  All of the ogg
theora videos that I have seen have looked really crappy video quality.

I read messages from the public lists.